Fall & winter weather requires some delicious drinks that warm our bodies, fill our tummies, heal our bodies, and evoke fond memories.
Hot cocoa is one of those drinks that accomplishes this for me. Finishing off a meal with a warming and decadent drink, I feel full and satisfied. I also drink warm drinks like herbal tea, decaf coffee, or hot cocoa as part of a snack or even as a complete snack as long as I add some protein to it.
This Trim Healthy Mama Fuel Pull cocoa recipe is perfect to accomplish that. Because it is a fuel pull, it doesn’t contain a lot of fat, carbs, or calories so it is a good, light snack to have between meals, especially this time of year.
The healing benefits are through the roof! Check this out:
~cacao powder~It’s full of antioxidants and flavonoids that lower blood pressure, decrease inflammation that causes cancer, diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer’s Disease, and depression, improve blood flow to the brain and prevent blood clots, heal the gut. It’s a powerhouse!
~sunflower lecithin~all of the same benefits of cacao and also softens skin and reduces complications of breastfeeding.
~hemp protein~Contains 9 essential amino acids needed for fighting illnesses and building and repairing muscle, contains a balanced ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, reduces ADHD, breast pain, PMS, multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, obesity, rheumatoid arthritis, skin allergies, heart disease, blood pressure, diabetes and diabetic neuropathy, contains fiber to cleanse the colon and prevent colorectal cancer, reduces sugar cravings. (Because hemp protein stimulates the immune system, if you have an autoimmune disease you need to refrain from using hemp products daily.)
Along with the healing benefits of this hot cocoa recipe, there are lots of variations of flavor so you never get bored or tired of it. It’s also the perfect alternative to traditional cocoa because even the pickiest of eaters will enjoy it. I literally cannot tell the difference between it and the cocoa packets I used to drink as a child, except that I think it tastes better, and it doesn’t get that nasty, clumpy, separated taste.
It’s also the perfect addition to your holiday season! You can set up your own cocoa bar. See my post here.
Try it for yourself!
Healing Hot Cocoa
(yields 1 serving) (multiple serving recipe below)
- 1 cup almond milk or coconut milk (refrigerated carton not canned)
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 2 tsp super sweet blend or 4 tsp gentle sweet blend or 1 tsp super sweet & 1 doonk of stevia or 2 tsp gentle sweet with 1 doonk stevia (remember sweetener amount should be added to your own personal tastebuds; don’t be afriaid to taste things as you make them)
- 1 tsp hemp protein
- 1 pinch Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 tsp sunflower lecithin
- OPTIONAL 1 tsp collagen
- OPTIONAL Natural Burst extracts, spices, add-ins for specific flavors
(multiple serve approx 12-16)
- 1 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup super sweet blend
- 3tbsp Cream Dreamy Hemp protein powder
- Himalayan sea salt
- 4 tsp sunflower lecithin
- OPTIONAL scoop of collagen
- Add 1 heaping tbsp of cocoa mix to 1 cup almond milk or coconut milk (refrigerated carton not canned) & add OPTIONAL Natural Burst extracts, spices, add-ins for specific flavors above.
In a small sauce pan, add almondmilk or coconut milk to sauce pan, the amount to be determined by how many cups of cocoa you plan to make (or you can warm in microwave).
Bring just to a slight boil. While whisking liquid, sprinkle in individial serving cocoa mix ingredients or a heaping tablespoon premade mix for each cup you plan to make. Whisk well.
While whisking, decide what fancy flavor you want or if you want a traditional cup of chocolatey goodness. Now you have a perfectly yummy and rich cup of cocoa.
Listed below are some flavor variations:
- Add a drop of peppermint extract and/or mint leaves for chocolate peppermint cocoa THMFP.
- Add a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne pepper for Mexican cocoa THMFP.
- Top with grassfed heavy whipping cream (THMS) or use fat free whipping cream (Drive-Thru Sue personal choice not necessarily clean but still on plan)
- Add any flavor of Lily’s baking chips or Trim Healthy Mama Chocolate Chips (I prefer these because there are no fillers that can potentially cause gastric sensitivity or upset), but Lily’s does have holiday flavors and are still sugar free with natural sweeteners. This variation would be a THMS.
- And of course all of the delicious natural bursts listed above.
Enjoy and stay warm!
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission for our family and our business at no extra cost to you. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you. Thank you!